I have been getting healthy (or healthier) over the last couple of months. I love the results I am seeing and am committed to this process – really. One problem that I’ve encountered is that there are certain ethnic foods that I really love, but that do not provide healthy options, specifically Chinese food. I decided to take one of my favorite foods at the Chinese restaurant and create a dish reminiscently full of flavor, but that eliminates (or significantly reduces) any of the “bad” ingredients. Egg Roll in a Bowl is the result of this endeavor. I hope you enjoy!
Egg Roll in a Bowl
¾ lb. pork, finely chopped
1 medium onion, minced
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
1 Tbsp. ginger root powder
½ tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. garlic, minced
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
2 Tbsp. Splenda (baking type) – or 2 Packets Splenda (regular)
2 Tbsp. white wine
¼ c. beef broth
5 c. shredded cabbage
¾ c. shredded carrot
Liquid aminos, to taste – I use Braggs brand (about 2 tsp.)
Prepared vegetable rice, brown rice, or white rice
Green onion for garnish
- Brown the pork in a pan, drain the meat, and then set aside.
- In a pan, over medium-high heat, sauté onions in the sesame oil until lightly browned.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the spices, Splenda, wine, and broth.
- Add cabbage, and stir to coat.
- Cook until cabbage slightly wilts.
- Add carrots, and cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add liquid aminos.
- Serve over rice of choice, and garnish with green onion.